What are Governors?
At Co-operative Academy Friarswood, we have a team of governors that work as volunteers to support the school. Their role is to support and challenge the Headteacher, to help set the vision and strategic direction of the school and to ensure that our school is the very best it could be.
Governors volunteer their time to help ensure we are working at our best. They also provide expertise in their particular field.
Key roles include:
- Ensuring money is well spent and setting the school budget
- Ensuring the school’s strategic direction and setting school policies
- Appointing staff and making staffing decisions
- Support and ensuring staff are helping children to achieve
- Ensuring that the school meets its legal responsibilities
- Making decisions about the school building and premises
- Looking at how groups of pupils are performing and taking action if required
If you’re interested in becoming a governor, but aren’t sure if you’re suited to the role, read our role description and person specification to see if it’s for you.
Our Current Governors
See our governors and a little about them, on our Local Governing Body page.
Parents are also welcome to apply for a role as a Parent Governor. This exciting opportunity offers training and guidance to allow you to become an active member of our governing body and school community.
Contact the Governors
If you’d like to send the governors a message, please use our contact page.
If you would like to write to the governors, please enclose the letter in an envelope marked as confidential. This can be given to our main office, who will ensure it is delivered to the appropriate member of the governing body.